Back before COVID and things like Zwift, people actually got together in huge numbers to ride mountain bikes. In Australia it started in Canberra in 1999 and this 2022 event is as close as possible to the original home of Aussie 24 Hour racing. (Someone built a suburb over the road on the original site - sorry).
Up around 3000 riders and 8000 people in a forest !
Its how the mountain biking community got together, and now its back. You can ride as a Solo (like Aussie Elite world champions Mary Grigson, Craig Gordon, Willo (RIP), Jason English, Jess Douglas and Liz Smith), or in teams of different sizes to make it a group, family or work unit. Then there's the special schools teams category to get the next generation into the sport.
Want some time off overnight, or don't have a complete lighting rig? Enter the 6+6; a great way to get started. But the weekend is what you make it. The Italian concept of a 24 hour is that they throw a 24 hour party and, if you want to, you can bring a bike. What will this one be like - that is up to you !
The teams categories are a relay, only one rider from each team on track at a time.
The solos are just that - but they will be the first to admit they can't do it without their pit crews. Always Solo, Never Alone.
But whether you're a world champion or new to the sport, you're all on the same course at the same time.
Practice and rego Friday, Racing from 1200 Saturday for 24+ hours. A lap you start within the 24 hours will count even if you finish it after 24.
CORC's creation from 2006 is back
Team of 2, Team of 4 (Male/Female/Mixed)
* Start with the 24 Hour riders.
* Ride for the first 6 hours.
* Take a break overnight.
* Resume after exactly 12 hours off the bike.
* Finish with the 24 Hour riders.
There is a special Corporate Entry which gives you a prime place in the event centre and the ability to promote your company or organisation, Corporate Entries include:
* a fully fitted 6m x 6m marquee in the centre of the village
* fridge, BBQ, Microwave, tables, chairs and 2 heaters
* 3m x 6m trackside promotional space
* 10 race entries for either the Corporate Competition or split them up into smaller teams.
Check out the general WEMBO rules for 24 hour racing but there are couple of changes for the CORC 24:
* Age is calculated on 1 October 2022.
* Minimum age for Solos is 18.
* Minimum age in teams is 14 however in a Schools team it can be 12 subject to agreement by CORC based on riders ability and history.
* The 40+ teams categories are based on the average age of the riders in the team on 1 October 2022, so its not 66, its 66.389, for example. Make sure you enter the birthdates of the riders. CORC will contact teams who don't meet the age definition and may move them to an open age category.
In response to some of the feedback from entrants:
* Winners Well - we like to think that everybody wins at a 24 Hr, but within each category, the rider/team with the most valid laps wins. For riders/teams on the same number of laps, the shortest overall race time gets the higher place.
* Numbers in a Team Only got 5 riders? You have to enter a Team of 6 category. You can ride any category with less than the nominal number of riders, but not with more.
* Course Direction You cannot backtrack against the direction of the course.
* Course Details Will be published when finalised, but expect about 13 Km, 250m of climbing and all the best parts of Stromlo such as Skyline and Luge (but no Hammerhead).
* Mixed Teams We don't specify the number of males/females in a mixed team - but there is a minimum number of laps that must be completed by female rider(s) within a mixed team for the team to have a valid result. So, if you have two female riders in a T6, then between them, they would have to complete at least that minimum number of laps. If you only have one female rider, then she has to complete that many laps herself. The number is based upon the total number of laps completed by the team, divided by the number of riders in the team’s category, less a defined number of laps dependent upon the team’s race category (ie. 3 laps for teams of 2 riders, and 1 lap for teams of 4, 6 or 8 riders). For example, for a mixed team of 4 completing 25 laps: 25/4 = 6.25, rounded to 6, less 1 = a total of 5 laps to be undertaken by the female rider(s).
* Breakdowns If you have a mechanical on a lap, you can complete the course by walking the remainder of the lap and that lap will count. If you shortcut back to the finish line, that lap does not count. If you get a message back to your team, a replacement rider can start a lap to replace you, but has to ride the whole lap, not shortcut to get to you. They then become the rider on the lap and their lap time would be from when you started you lap until when they finish theirs. The rider with the mechanical can then take the quickest route back to the event centre, but cannot ride through the finish line.
* Can We Have a Fire? No. No open fires, no braziers. You are allowed to have a Gas BBQ but it cannot be a hot coal variety. It has to be something where the fire goes off instantly it is turned off, and an Adult must be with the BBQ whenever it is on. Sealed Gas Heaters (mushroom/column) are allowed.
* Showers and Toilets Stromlo has both in the event pavilion. Drinking water is there also.
* Battery Charging There will be battery charging facilities available. The eBikes have a separate one.
* Camping Areas If you camp in an area which is inside the course loop or requires you to cross the course for access, then you must be in by 1800 on Friday and then you cannot leave until 1400 on Sunday.
* Pets Sorry - No.
* Parking You can park in Stromlo but please don't obstruct camping areas. You cannot park down in the crit track area. You can use your car to drop of gear before 1800 Friday and after 1400 Sunday.
* Cash Prizes The only category with cash prizes is the WEMBO Asia/Pacific Championships in Solo Elite. Prizes go to 5th place in Solo Elite in accordance with the WEMBO Continental Championships scale and are equal for men and women.
Prices are per rider (except 10 Rider Corporate Package). If racing teams, please provide a TEAM NAME at entry, otherwise select 'no team'. Thanks