- Sat, 22 Jul 2017
- Entries open
Sun, 16 Jul 2017 6:00 PM AEST
- Entries close
- Thu, 20 Jul 2017 9:00 PM AEST
- Scratch cut-off
- Fri, 21 Jul 2017 12:00 PM AEST
- Pay online by
- Sat, 22 Jul 2017 12:00 PM AEST
- Host Club - This race is proudly presented by Coburg CC
- Location: - Pastoria Circuit, Kyneton.
About the Memorials
For many Victorian cyclists, Mario Giramondo would be considered one of the founding fathers of our modern local cycling scene. His well known exploits on the bike, including winning a number of Melbourne to Warrnambool classics were equally matched by his personal and family’s commitment to supporting the development of young local cyclists. That support has been invaluable for many current and past champions and to this day; through his son’s work with Drapac Professional Cycling is paving the way for the next crop of talent.
Like many Northern Combine cyclists Jim Fawcett took up cycling later on in life but made up for lost time by not only excelling on two wheels but leading by example off the bike. During his time in cycling, Jim was a huge contributor at both the Preston and Coburg Cycling Clubs. In 1985 Jim won the Melbourne-to-Yarrawonga. The win typified the man – he rode off a middle mark, never missing a turn and spent the final 30km with one rider sitting on his wheel, unwilling to work. Undeterred he pressed on and took out the sprint in what was a popular victory.
He was a much loved ambassador of our sport and friend to many who still carry his memory to this day. Sadly Jim was killed when he was hit by a bus whilst training on the morning of 1 April 1987. He left behind a wife, two teenage sons and three young daughters.
Prizes will be awarded as follows;
Mario Giramondo Memorial: Overall Winner, Fastest time, 1st place woman
Jim Fawcett Memorial: Fastest Masters age rider
Race Distance & Format
- 4 laps (84.4km) handicap.
- Race Fees: Volunteers $15, NC member-clubs (Non-vols) $27, Non-member clubs $30.
- Pre-Pay Only: - Race Fees are pre-pay only.
- Waitlisting: - Races have pre-set limits per grade. Riders may be notified (via Entry Confirmation Email) they have been wailtisted once entries reach these limits. Waitlisted riders are generally still a good chance of a start after scratchings and rider re-grades. Riders not wanting to be considered for promotion from the waitlist should scratch.
- Scratching: - Scratching is a self-serve, automated refund via EntryBoss if withdrawing within scratching cut-off (generally midday Friday - pls see above).
- 09:00AM Registration Open
- 10:00AM Race Start (grades briefed & released progressively)
Race Day Procedures
- Disc Brakes: - Disc brakes have not been approved for racing in Australia and cannot be used until such approval is made.
- No License, No Race: - riders need a current license (or proof of renewal) to race. CA licenses only.
- New to Racing: - 3 Race Licenses are accepted. Please ensure you have organised this with a club or online via Cycling Australia prior to race day.
- Red Light Policy: - The Northern Combine complies with Cycling Victoria's red light policy. Riders are required to have a rear red light on solid to race. Spare lights may be available at Rego to borrow for riders who forget (no guarantee).
- On-the-day Entries: Sorry, on-the-day entries are not accepted.
- Spectating: - It is requested that family & friends watch from roadside vantage points & do not follow bunches in vehicles.
- Announcements: - Please check the Northern Combine Facebook page, twitter or website for any announcements regarding racing.
- Registration & Start Location: - UPDATE: Car parking & Rego will be on the slip road OPPOSITE the Saleyards, Saleyards Rd Kyneton.
- Getting there: - Exit Calder Freeway at 2nd Kyneton turnoff "Kyneton / Heathcote C326" Exit. At the large roundabout shortly after exiting, take the second exit to Beauchamp St and continue to the T intersection with Mollison St. Turn left onto Mollison St and enter the Showgrounds via the main entrance (approx 100m after turning onto Mollison St).
- Parking: - Showgrounds Carpark No 2 - Beauchamp St Kyneton (TBC)
- Toilets: - Public toilets are available
- Carpark No 2 is on Beauchamp St and shouldn't be confused with carpark No1 off Mollison St.
- Presentations - location TBC
- FINISH LINE - please limit congestion around the finish line. Please consider parking a short distance from the finish and walk if spectating at the finish.
The Northern Combine is looking for sponsors. If you or someone you know may be interested in supporting grass-roots racing please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org