- Sat, 5 Aug 2023
- Balliang (Hell of the West)
- Entries open
Sun, 30 Jul 2023 6:00 PM AEST
- Entries close
- Fri, 04 Aug 2023 5:00 PM AEST
- Pay online by
- Sat, 05 Aug 2023 11:00 PM AEST
Phote Credit: Alison Skene
||Hell of the West
||Sunbury Cycling Club
||The classic HotW course - including the infamous Glenmore Cutting
||Graded Scratch Race
||Note 1: Course - The traditional course is back for 2023. Last year's land slippage on the decent has been fixed.
||Note 2: The course has ~3km of dirt. The dirt was inspected 25/7 & is in good order. Hard-packed, wide & relatively flat, some potholes but visible/avoidable, with some gravel coverage but not a lot of build up. Some light corrugations in parts. 70km/h in a two wheel drive car.
||Note 3: UNDER 17's. One of the rare races you can select your preferred grade. You will race a modified course which keeps you at tech reg distance (we pop you in after the dirt when your grade comes through). You compete for an U17 podium place but get to roll turns and finish as normal (Full distance is 92km, modified course is ~70km). We normally do this on this circuit. It's a little unusual but a nice offering for more experienced juniors)
||Note 4: U15 Very special conditions apply. Please enter, we'll contact you to discuss
SPECIAL OFFER - BRING A VOL for FREE ENTRY
If you are racing & can bring a volunteer, please use promo code BRINGAVOL for FREE ENTRY.
We have a variety of roles - mainly corner marshals and lead/follow cars but appreciate all helper. Please head to the sign up table in the Volunteer Season Pass page to review roles and sign up.
We will brief you on what to do so main requirement is common sense.
Race Results / Season Numbers
LIVE Race Results will be available here:
- PLEASE BRING YOUR SEASON NUMBERS
- Anyone without Season Numbers is asked to buy them at entry for an additional $15.
- These are yours to keep (forever) & include; 2 x quality race numbers & frame plate with transponder (aka tag)
- These can be purchased as part of your race entry and will be ready for collection at Rego on Race Day
- Please mount your frame plate off your seatpost as advised.
- Transponders DO NOT WORK in your pocket
- To be included in timed results, you need your frame plate mounted correctly
- Check the Transponder MASTER LIST here
Please help your friends get sorted with Season Numbers and tags.
Volunteer Season Pass
The Volunteer Season Pass is available again in 2023. $30 for a full season of racing.
Volunteers are the magic that makes this all happen, so thank you.
More Info here. Volunteer Season Pass
Event Specific Info
|Rego Start Time
|Race Start Time
||Balling Memorial Hall
||At hall (please park in carpark & avoid parking on the road if possible)
|Race Start Location
|Roll out & Start instructions
||briefing at entrance to hall car park immediately before race start
|Special Course Notices
||A 3km dirt sector, some potholes etc so please ensure bunch ettiquete to keep everyone safe
|Finish Claims / DNFs
||Riders should Claim and advise Finish if they are a DNF
||Optional fundraising at entry - 100% goes to the Community Hall
||Back deck of the hall
|License Collection / Number Return
||Season number collection at rego, no returns necessary
|Separate Women's Grades?
||Likely ride with men for bunch experience but recognised as a separate race / result set / podium
Laps / Distances
|Men's A - D, Women's A and B
||92km (1 lap)
||This is a demanding course
||course map here
|Women's C / Men's E
|~70km (1 Lap)
|course map here
- Volunteers $15
- Non-Volunteers $30.
- Vol Season Pass holders - recognised for free entry,
- U17 see below.
Season Numbers - Don't yet have your own season numbers? You can add $15 to your entry and have a Number Pack waiting for you at Rego - ready to use.
- Waitlisting: - Races have pre-set limits per grade.
- Scratching: - Scratching is a self-serve, automated refund via EntryBoss if withdrawing within scratching cut-off (generally midday Friday - pls see above).
Race Day Procedures
- Finish Line Area: - Please keep all finish lines free from congestion.
- Racing Incidents: - Safety is important. Please report all race incidents to the Race Director, or alternatively via the post-race rider survey.
- Spectating: - It is requested that family & friends watch from roadside vantage points & do not follow bunches in vehicles.
- No License, No Race: - riders need a current license (or proof of renewal) to race. AusCycling accepted licenses only.
- Red Light Policy: - The Northern Combine complies with AusCycling Victoria's red light policy. Riders are required to have a rear red light on solid to race. Spare lights may be available at Rego to borrow for riders who forget (no guarantee).
- New to Racing: - AusCycling offer a 4 week trial license. Please see https://www.auscycling.org.au/membership/other/free-trial
- On-the-day Entries: Sorry, on-the-day entries are not accepted.
- Announcements: - Please check the Northern Combine Facebook page, twitter or website for any announcements regarding racing.
- Select races throughout the season will offer separate women's-only grades.
- For most races, Women will start with an Open/Men's grade (combined start) but be recognised with separate Women's results and podium. This allows for a bunch race experience without the disadvantage of having to race men.
- When combined starts are required, the Women's A bunch starts with C Grade, Women's B start with D grade.
WC start separately wherever possible.
Occasionally some women do wish to race in harder grades rather than with the Women's designated grade (for instance Men's B). This is entirely your own decision and something that is supported.
See https://northerncombinecycling.org/racing/women for more details on the Women's Series Points. In every race, every female who starts gets a point. The best 3 female finishers get extra points.
Juniors Racing Senior Grades
- U17 Juniors are welcome to race senior grades as long as AusCycling Tech Reg distance and roll-out/age-appropriate gearing restrictions are adhered to.
- Junior pricing will apply - but no prize money will be awarded. (applies to U17 only. No restrictions on U19)
- Younger juniors (U15 and below) are requested to race with David Morgan.
The Northern Combine is looking for sponsors. If you or someone you know may be interested in supporting grass-roots racing please contact us via email@example.com
We are taking COVID-19 restrictions seriously.
By entering this event, you agree to the following:
- you agree to follow Government COVID recommendations applicable to your jurisdiction
- you agree to follow the Event's COVID directives
- you agree that you may be asked to leave the event for non-compliance
- we appreciate your cooperation, our intention is simply to run a safe event.