- Sat, 2 Jun 2018
- Balliang (Hell of the West)
- Entries open
Sun, 27 May 2018 6:00 PM AEST
- Entries close
- Thu, 31 May 2018 9:00 AM AEST
- Scratch cut-off
- Fri, 01 Jun 2018 12:00 noon AEST
- Pay online by
- Sat, 02 Jun 2018 11:59 PM AEST
Proudly hosted by Sunbury CC
Race Director(s): Luke McDonough & Colin Bell
A Technical Guide is currently in production, which includes important rider information, namely;
1. How to fit your transponder
2. Course information
3. Northern Combine Road Championships
Please note this document is a work in progress so some details may change (major changes will be notified at Rego, but please check back if you have any concerns. Tech Guide here
Incorporating Combine Road Championships - Please Read
This race will incorporate the Northern Combine Road Championships. There are some format changes to previous year's Road Champs so please note the following;
- In the past, the Combine Road Champs were run as age-based races, only open to Northern Combine affiliated club members. Low rider attendances at past editions have forced a re-think of this format.
- This year, graded scratch races are on offer - Men's A-D and Women's A-C.
- Normal scratch race placings and results recognition will apply.
- Championship categories will be offered as follows; Elite, M123, M456+ & U19 (Men and Women).
- Elite winners will be first Combine rider home in A / WA. Non-elite Championship podiums (Masters & U19) will be determined by fastest-time, across grades (supported by transponder timing). It is possible, for instance, that the Masters M456 winner may come out of C grade, even though M456 riders competed in higher grades - based purely on fastest time. Fastest time will take account of each grade's start time offsets (ie. no disadvantage due to start order)
- All grades will cover the same course distance (with the exception of WC who will be offered a shorter race distance - 15km cut from start. WC riders wanting to be considered for Masters Championship places will need to ride up a grade in WB so as to do the same championship distance).
- Trophies are on offer for Championship race winners, medals for other place getters. Prize money for scratch race placings per normal.
- More details available via the event Tech Guide (available soon). Any questions please email the Race Director (Colin Bell - firstname.lastname@example.org).
This race includes a ~3km dirt sector.
The condition of the dirt varies year-to-year.
Sunbury CC will check the condition of the dirt close to the race to determine it's suitability for racing.
If the dirt's condition is unsuitable, we may cancel the race.
Host Club Initiative: Live Timing
- Sunbury CC will provide transponder timing for this race.
- Please allow a little additional time at Rego.
- All transponders need to be returned at the end of the race.
- Important: No trimming of frame plates provided.
||Grade starts staggered by 5 minutes per grade.
||A, B, C/WA, D/WB,
||WC Race Start
||Shorter Course approx start 10:45
Rego Location: - Balliang Hall, Bacchus Marsh-Balliang Road, Balliang VIC
Parking: At Rego.
Toilets: At Rego.
Presentations: At Rego.
Race Number Return: At Rego.
Race Fees: Volunteers $15, NC member-clubs (Non-vols) $27, Non-member clubs $30. Vol Season Pass holders - free, U17 see below.
Pre-Pay Only: - Race Fees are pre-pay only.
Waitlisting: - Races have pre-set limits per grade. Riders may be notified (via Entry Confirmation Email) they have been wailtisted once entries reach these limits. Waitlisted riders are generally still a good chance of a start after scratchings and rider re-grades. Riders not wanting to be considered for promotion from the waitlist should scratch.
Scratching: - Scratching is a self-serve, automated refund via EntryBoss if withdrawing within scratching cut-off (generally midday Friday - pls see above).
Please note: This race includes a 3km dirt sector. The dirt sector is covered twice by all grades (excluding WC), once near the beginning of the race and again close to the end of the race. WC cross the dirt near the end of their race.
No Parking - CFA: No parking at the CFA under any circumstances.
No Parking - Outside the Balliang Hall: Please keep the roadside completely clear of cars outside the hall ie No parking. There is generally plenty of parking at the back of the hall.
Dirt: - This course includes a dirt sector which is approximately 3kms in length. Inspection of the course prior to race day is a host club responsibility and an update on the condition of the dirt should be available this week.
CFA Fundraiser: - This race will be used as a fundraiser for the CFA. Please consider adding a donation to you race entry.
Race Day Procedures
Finish Line Area: - It is important to keep all finish lines free from congestion. Please move off the road once finsihed.
Racing Incidents: - Safety is important. Please report all race incidents to the Race Director, or alternatively via the post-race rider survey. Incident reporting is an important feedback loop and helps improve safety going-forward.
Spectating: - It is requested that family & friends watch from roadside vantage points & do not follow bunches in vehicles.
Disc Brakes: - Disc brakes are now approved for racing in Australia and welcome at all Northern Combine races.
No License, No Race: - riders need a current license (or proof of renewal) to race. CA licenses only.
Red Light Policy: - The Northern Combine complies with Cycling Victoria's red light policy. Riders are required to have a rear red light on solid to race. Spare lights may be available at Rego to borrow for riders who forget (no guarantee).
New to Racing: - 3 Race Licenses are accepted. Please ensure you have organised this with a club or online via Cycling Australia prior to race day.
On-the-day Entries: Sorry, on-the-day entries are not accepted.
Announcements: - Please check the Northern Combine Facebook page, twitter or website for any announcements regarding racing.
Women's Grades - Special Notice
Select races throughout the season will offer women's grades as part of a Women's Series.
For scratch races not designated as Women's Series events, women can race in the standard Combine grades with separate recognition of results. In other words, there will be a race within a race for women's placings (with the composition of placings offered a function of how many women race). We strongly recommend you enter the following grades:
||May race with D grade (with calculated headstart) if no E grade is offered
- There are exceptions to this and we will support individuals wishing to race in a higher grade.
- See https://goo.gl/YQOrPn for more details
Juniors Racing Senior Grades
- U17 Juniors are welcome to race senior grades as long as CA Tech Reg distance and roll-out/age-appropriate gearing restrictions are adhered to.
- Junior pricing will apply - but no prize money will be awarded. (applies to U17 only. No restrictions on U19)
- Younger juniors (U15 and below) are requested to race with David Morgan.
The Northern Combine is looking for sponsors. If you or someone you know may be interested in supporting grass-roots racing please contact us via email@example.com